Section28- BE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airline offers $124 to crash survivors

Ex News Ltd

Airline offers $124 to crash survivors
From correspondents in Tokyo
August 21, 200703:51pm
Article from: Agence France-Presse

CHINA Airlines today offered $US100 ($124) and an apology to each of the Taiwanese tourists who barely escaped a blaze on a flight to Japan.
The Boeing 737-800 burst into flames yesterday at the airport in the southern island of Okinawa.
All 165 passengers, mostly Taiwanese, and crew raced out and escaped the engulfing flames and plumes of black smoke.
China Airlines chief executive Chao Kuo-shuai flew to Okinawa and handed a red envelope with $US100 inside to each of the Taiwanese tourists on the flight.
"I apologise from the bottom of my heart,'' Mr Chao told the Taiwanese on a tour bus in Okinawa.
"I feel ashamed for causing so much trouble,'' Mr Chao said as he handed out the money, according to footage on Japanese public broadcaster NHK.
One of the Taiwanese tourists said: "I feel for their efforts, but I can't be satisfied as my luggage and all my other things were burnt up.''
A China Airlines spokeswoman in Tokyo said the firm was separately considering compensation to the tourists for damage to luggage and other belongings on the aircraft.
Eighteen Japanese were on the flight, which included 157 passengers, two pilots and six other crew members, according to Japan's transport ministry.