PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sharjah. OLD airport
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2007, 07:33
l.garey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sharjah Anson

Further to my comment about Sandy's Anson, I wonder if he can solve the mystery of the id plates. I quote from my site http://l.garey.googlepages.com/rafsharjah,almahattamuseum

The Anson "G-AKVW" is ex TX183, built at Yeadon in 1946. With Bomber Command Communications Flight at Booker (from where I used to fly), then Abingdon (where I lived) Station Flight, before moving on to No.1 ANS at Hullavington. Later to Shawbury, and A&AEE Boscombe Down where its service career finished in 1968. It was then sold to the Shuttleworth Trust, who were planning on a restoration programme, but that never came to fruition. Registered as G-BSMF. The flaps are half lowered, so you can see id plates on both sides. It is quite clearly marked as "Type no 652A" and Mk XXI on one side and Mk 21 on the other! The flaps carry the dates 22/10/48 on one side and 9/1/51 on the other! To find that it is a Mk21 is a surprise as that serial batch is usually quoted as C19s. Maybe the flaps were taken from a Mk 21, and fitted to a C19 airframe.

I wonder if Sandy can confirm that the data I quote are correct, and can he explain the plates saying this is a Mk 21!?