PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is ATC not an international business???
Old 20th Aug 2007, 22:00
elcrusoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why is ATC not an international business???

Hey,

Well i've been in the ATC business for about 5 years now and well i gotta say i love the job its great.....i wouldn't wanna do anything else except maybe pilot hehe but well maybe in a next life time.

Well the only thing that really frustrates me is the fact that ATC is just not like any other job........we don't have the possibility to pick up a position in a different country even though we all mostly do the same work....keeping the sky safe right!!! I've talked with pilots and well its pretty much the same for them. One licence form one country is not recognized by a different country. (And well i'm talking more of the Europe and US and other countries). I hate to say it but we pretty much follow the same regulations. I know that additional training is always involved but don't we all have to train even if we transfer within our country? On the pilot side well to me it seems that well once u learned to fly a plane well its like riding a bike so why this big difference between all these countries???

What also comes to mind is that what if you have a succesful partner? Like what if your wife or husband receives a great job proposition but for that she/he needs to relocate abroad? What happens to the qualified ATC/pilot?
Forget finding a job in your area of knowledge unless you are ready to go back to day one!! And well first you need to find that company that will accept you.

Overall it is really ashame to even have ICAO because nothing is international about our jobs really.....well that is my opinion.

I would love to hear from other ATC/pilots on this issue and of course any real life situations that could counter and enhance my knowledge of the aviation world. Thank you.