PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diary of a CPL student at Stapleford
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2007, 20:45
kangy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAY 11
After much pondering about the weather today, it finally became good enough to do an hour of circuits in the Arrow, and after the previous pretty awful flight I was determined to make this a much more pleasant flight!
A couple of hours before the flight I read and went over my notes taken previously on what needs to be done, by when and where in the circuit - getting it pretty solid in my head (ie doing my homework!), I was quite amazed with the results......

Rotate at 70 kts, unusable runway left - gear up, once gear up light is out rpm to 2500, manifold pressure also back to 25, by now you're about to hit 500' so check flaps, engine t's & p's, landing light off and trim for 90....
once in downwind, get the checks done quickly, efficiently and make sure you trim - the plane becomes so much easier to fly once its trimmed properly!
Turning base, you're stable at the circuit height, properly trimmed, so reduce power, pitch for 80 kts and 2 stages of flaps.
Turn final, miss the mast at 750', call final, 3rd stage of flap, pitch for 75 kts, adjust power and whadda you know - she kissed the runway every time!
Trimming the plane is definately the answer!!!!

We also did a couple of glide approaches which were definately an eye opener..
When in late base, you pull the power to complete idle - no flap at this stage.
Its up to you to judge where you pull the power (before turning final) so you're able to make the runway - pretty hard to get right straightaway
I pulled the power to idle and firstly I thought I was too high.... then she started to sink like a brink! Keeping the speed at 80 kts was paramount as this was the best glide - no flap was used until short final to ensure you'd get in.... its better to be high (you can loose height) than low on a glide approach obviously!
...More tomorrow!

Last edited by kangy; 20th Aug 2007 at 20:49. Reason: typos!