PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Family history
Thread: Family history
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2007, 20:27
Martin1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A positive family history for certain conditions is essentially a part of your medical history as you have inherited genes from each parent. I don't really see the problem. The records themselves are confidential
Please read my original post where I stated that I didn't question what you say about "inherited genes from each parent". It is more of a legal question, as legally it doesn't matter if the applicant gives out medical information about his parents or the Pope. It shouldn't matter if the records of the AME are confidential, as you have still told someone!

To give you just one example so you understand the question.

A doctor that enjoys soaring the skies in the weekends one day gets a patient - the father of the doctor. During the visit the doctor learns that the father has a medical condition that the JAA medical examination form asks for under "family history". Before the father leaves the room he says "don't tell anyone about my medical condition, please remember the medical confidentiality".

What should the doctor state under family history at the renewal?

If one was a 25 year old applying for licences and had been orphaned at age 6 months, would one be obliged to have knowledge of, or to search for medical details, of one's deceased parents?
It's very hard for someone to require you to tell something you actually don't know of.

Would their GP be entitled to give this information to you if you asked him and he still held it or had access to it? Just a legal quibble really!
Depends which country you are talking about. If the parents are still alive and don't give their consent, there's no way that either you or the AME can access the medical records of the parents (in a legal way).

I think it's very interesting legal questions and I suppose that a medical forum isn't the best one - although someone working in the industry reading this might have came across the problem.