PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2007, 19:51
michaelthewannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must admit navigation concerns me and also radion telephony, for example when to switch frequencies and talk to other ATCs, I watched my instructor doing this all the time on my lesson but was so caught up in the excitement of it all that I didnīt think to question him. It seemed almost as soon as we had levelled out after take off he switched from Jerez to Seville; as they are quite close I suppose you would have to but itīs knowing when that worries me.
hey joolz.

You'll probably find that the point at which your instructor changes from Jerez to Seville is at VRP Echo (a little town with a new motorway going near it, to the east of the airport) or VRP Whiskey (an obscure little hill to the west of the airport) - which are the points at which VFR traffic is permitted to leave and enter the Jerez airport airspace. This is because Jerez only covers the airport airspace and the instrument approaches, whereas Seville provides a radar service for the whole surrounding area.

I think it was on about my fourth or fifth lesson there that I started to understand this, change the frequency myself and generally do all the procedures for getting in and out of Jerez...

good luck! And have fun.