PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airsickness
Thread: Airsickness
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2007, 18:09
6Z3

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Always sick on the first flight of any new aircraft. Thereafter, no problems.
Funny. First ever flight in a Chipmunk T10 on UAS, having arrived the evening before and had a few sherbets in the bar at a meet-n-greet. Instructor next morning noted my greenish gills from the night before.
"Right, 'Z3" he announced,
"Stalling and Spinning; In at the deep end, eh?"
Well, halfway thru' the third spin, I admit that I don't feel too well.
"No probs old chap, we'll settle the aircraft down, slide open the canopy and take her gently home. Get your sickbag out from the stowage by your left leg, take deep breaths, and try to look at the distant horizon"
Well, the stowage was empty, and the horizon was dimming to a grey mist.
"TAKE YOUR GLOVE OFF AND USE THAT, 'Z3" he shouts over the sound of rushing slipstream.
"NO, DON'T DO THAT!!!" he exclaims just a fraction too late, as I line up to hurl out the window.
Picture if you will a half-gallon dollup of JohnSmithscumvindaloo, pause for a moment just outside the window, before reversing course and propelling itself at 70 kts toward the back cockpit, grazing the top of my right shoulder strap on its way to pancaking my instructor full in the face; the outer extremities of it wiping itself around the whole of the inside of the rear canopy.
"YOU $@#£%WIT" he splutters, and regains S&L
I believe he earned himself a Green Endorsement for his skill in flying the a/c back in near IMC conditions (internally at least).
"THAT'll teach you not to go drinking the night before flying" he debriefed, some time after I had cleared out the whole a/c.
"Sir, I believe you learnt a thing or two as well" I ventured.