PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airsickness
Thread: Airsickness
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2007, 15:54
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh... Lest I forget...

Dateline: Belize, 1982 0r 1983.

There was a young blonde ATC lady who, to be fair, was a little more attractive that the regular fare shipped out to the Officers Mess, who attracted the attention of a young pilot. He tried the normal trick of getting her a left seat trip for an hour or two except he made the mistake of getting her on a BGS, (Battle Group South task that lasted most of the day). She didn't have a helmet, couldn't or didn't borrow a helmet and so I provided her with the headset from the back.

We picked up a dozen troops and began a transit down through the mountains to Rideau camp IIRC. Rather than do the standard transit at 1000ish feet our hero choses to demonstrate his low level abilities.

Now, I'm sure I will be told it was my fault but there wasn't a sick bag within reach of the left seat... About 15 minutes into the flight I looked to see the young lady looking particularly pale and in something of a tizzy. Being the bright chap that I am I immediately surmised that the poor girl was about to upchuck. Not wanting to have to clean up the contents of her breakfast I turned to get a baggy only to find myself blocked by a dozen troops and all their kit. Frantic hand signalling ensued as I tried to get a baggy from them. This, of course, caused much mirth amongst the troops and probably slowed down the passage of said baggy.

You know how, when driving at speed and someone opens a window you can feel the pressure change? Well, it's exactly the same in a Puma flying at 140 knots... I lunge for the baggy, get it and turn to see the dear lady "looking intently" out of the side window... I tapped her on the shoulder and offered her the baggy.

She turned to show her hair nicely quaffed back on the top and both sides by her breakfast which was also smothered across her face and down the front of her shirt. She looked a bit like a Picasso...

I gave her the baggy which she held onto firmly until we reached Rideau where it was decided she would stay until the transit home which turned out to be a relatively normal transit that began with a baggy firmly placed in her hand and the smell of "suitably aged" sick permeating the cab.

I don't recall if the pilot was successful in his mission or not...