PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Plan
Thread: My Plan
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2007, 11:15
Batfink58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Realistic or just dreaming??? The Master Plan

Well….here I am another 30 something contemplating a career change (from IT) to fulfil my desire for a flying career. I’ve been contemplating taking this step over the last 3 -4 years and have now concluded it’s now or never. I currently hold a PPL with just over 100hrs TT and also have my class 1 medical.
I’ve thought through a plan of action and would be most grateful for any positive or negative comments.
So, my plan is as follows:
I request my employer to let me take a career break for 6 months starting early 08. I get myself on a full time ATPL theory course and get my 14 exams done in the 6 months. Reason for full-time and not distance learning is that it’s been sometime since I’ve had to do the whole exam thing and I feel that I really could do with classroom influence. Also, with a wife and young baby, the D.L route will realistically take me 18months – 2 years to complete. During the 6 months away from work I will live off our savings and also cash raised from equity in the house.
After completing ATPL theory I return to work and start on CPL/ME/IR/MCC etc This will obviously need to be completed on a part-time basis (weekends and as many evenings as I can squeeze in), I can not afford to be off work for more then 6 months. I’d like to complete the flight training section in 6 months – do you guys think this is achievable?
What do you reckon, is this a realistic plan of action? There is a big IF and that is my employer granting me a 6month career break.
I need some guidance as to how long the flight training part will take me to complete on a part-time basis. Any inputs positive or negative will be well received and much appreciated.
I estimate this will all cost me approx £25K (excluding loss of earning during 6 month break). Does this figure appear realistic to you guys?
Thanks in advance for your inputs.