PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airfields in UAE/Oman
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2007, 09:19
l.garey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfields in UAE/Oman

I wonder if anyone can help identify an old abandoned airfield situated in the United Arab Emirates, south of Al Wagam and Al Q'aa (about 180 km south of Al Ain). It is almost exactly at the intersection of 23N and 55E, which makes it easy to find. There are two large sand runways forming a « T » that is easily visible on Google Earth. Otherwise there are just dumps of old tyres and cars, including a Landrover. Some are obviously truck size sand tyres; others look more like aviation types (rounded profile, almost treadless). No buildings, but human debris (ACs, cooking things, the odd gin bottle etc). What is the name of this airfield, and when was it in use? I presume it was oil-related, but there are no wells nearby. Maybe a clue is that toward the east of the field, we found a tall metal post in the sand, about 3m high with numbers and letters: on one side: AL91-306-VP1291+7 and on the other side: AL91-581-VP1619+6.

There are many old airfields around the UAE and Oman. One I visited fairly recently is Sumaini, Oman, at 24 39 10N, 55 53 40E. It is also visible on Google Earth, where you can even make out the white runway markers and the name “SUMAINI” in white. The striking thing is that it is absolutely clean, with no debris of any sort, not even marks from spilled oil or any sign of having been used. I have heard from a former Oman Air Force pilot that he landed a Beaver there in 1975.

Back in the UAE, there are still traces of the old Al Ain Airport, at 24 11 30 N, 55 49E, including the runway threshold marker in the form of a white arrow (just visible on Google Earth), and a helipad and a few ruined buildings.

http://l.garey.googlepages.com/home

Last edited by l.garey; 7th Sep 2007 at 08:45.