PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air Expat Contract
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2007, 08:40
ELAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELAC, as someone considering this contract can you be specific about whether or not the contractual terms are respected?

Your post insinuates much but its not clear to me exactly what you mean regarding the 10% haircut and the 21st day.
Doug,

I'm not really much for getting into a long story of all the ways that Korean Air arbitrarily changed contract terms, but it did happen, and with some regularity. In my time I experienced things such as an involuntary one year 10% pay cut (the aformentioned haircut), the institution of a policy that revoked vacation days earned in any month where one reported sick for even 1 day, a reclassification of travel benefit ticket classifications making the tickets very difficult to obtain and attempts to change the duty travel seat accommodations. Those four are the first that come to mind, but there were others too.

The 21st day simply refers to the fact that your standard work rotation will be about 3 weeks, and in the case of the B737 that will be 3 weeks of mostly domestic or China flying and hence a lot of "snack packs" to enjoy.

My advice with respect to Korean Air is simply that it is a very challenging employment environment in a great number of ways and that someone looking in that direction expecting an improvement versus how they are treated as an expat in, for example, India is likely to be in for a rude shock. If you are adaptable you can adjust to most of what goes on at KE, but it is unlikely you will ever find it very enjoyable as opposed to simply the necessary means to other ends.

ELAC