PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2007, 08:04
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paxboy - I believe you are correct. I have no access to any AB perf figures and it would have been more constructive of NOD and CM to have offered such information rather than reacting in the instant 'AB Defence' mode when no attack was made. Whether or not I fly a canvas covered 737, I am trying to caution against the OVERALL impression that has appeared often here that T/Rs are 'irrelevant' - that may be so for the AB family but it is certainly not irrelevant for many other types. As quoted before, on anything other than dry runways, my 737 QRP LDRs are based on 2 reversers at 'No 2 detent' (around 70%N1). I again reiterate that you will NOT easily stop any aeroplane on braking action 'poor' with wheelbrakes alone. Without T/Rs, in the presence of aquaplaning or an otherwise slippery surface, there is a severe risk of 'going off the end'. Indeed NOD quotes BA's figures as a 24% increase in LDR with no reversers on a slippery runway (but does not specify the level of reverse). That would certainly knacker a BA 320 in CGH on a slippery runway. I see another operator quotes 23%.

So the message for all is to make sure you have read the 'small print' in your performance tables regarding reverse, and thought SERIOUSLY about runway surface/braking action and how you expect to retard the beast before you plant your a/c on it, especially if the ba is nil to poor.

PS NOD - there are no 'grandfather' rights involved for the 737-700 LDRs. It is indeed a 'new 'certification' and
Originally Posted by Carnage Matey!
The 737 BOAC flies is based on a 40 year old design and may have required reversers to effect a stop in the 1960's.
No sir, in the "60's" the Classic was certified to stop without reversers. It was the introduction of the NG which produced LDRs WITH reverse. That is an important message for 737 NG drivers if no-one else.