PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and BALPA already agreed on EU 757 Pilots
Old 19th Aug 2007, 22:05
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Angryfool
Has any Rep posted the other EU airlines pay scales even though they have been asked to provide evidence for their comments? Well as far as I know the answer to the latter question is NO, and the reason, well it's too confidential to be posted on the forum. Give me a break!
Perhaps you should give us a break? The reps have done the benchmarking but say it's too sensitive to be posted on the forum. Why not approach them personally, they may be happy to divulge the information. You are suggesting we don't trust the reps, who have been talking about collecting benchmarking information for years, simply because they don't publish it. On the other hand we are expected to trust you that other airlines earn more than us simply on a hunch. Who lacks credibility here?

The basis for this rumour is a BA manager, and yes, he might be lying and stirring it up, then maybe perhaps not. But it's strange how several BA managers have now said this, and around the same time, Balpa start talking about how costly we are.
I've read the BALPA forum thread on this, so I know who the manager is and I'll have a pretty good guess at who you are. For your benefit I will explain some truths about BA. Firstly, everyone joins full of bravado and militancy and belief in what a union can achieve. Eventually you work out that the reality is somewhat different as the strength of the union is the resolve of it's members, so the quicker you accept that reality the better. Secondly, the manager in question is not going to be a manager for very long, and people who know his history remain mystified how he has remained in the middle echelons for so long. He is not party to the sort of information that could substantiate such comments. Thirdly, only 2 managers in Flight Ops are party to any information pertaining to company strategy, and they are not usually seen at SEP. Wanna know why the busses are rubbish? You may get an answer to that at SEP. Wanna know pension, pay or crewing information? Forget it. All you'll get is idle speculation. I have seen rumour and speculation flatly denied by management at SEP only to see it confirmed the following week when the big boys have got their heads together. The big boys don't go to SEP. A bit of cynicism will do you a lot of good in BA, but you must be cynical of the right people.

Originally Posted by Barry McDougal
Even if what you say is true,I doubt very much the members will strike if balloted. It will not be an issue balpa will war over with the company and even if they wanted to,will not have the backing of the majority of it's members.
You reckon? The only significant expansion we're likely to see for years taking by direct entry Captains? A challenge to the whole concept of seniority within BA? A direct competitor to Fortress Heathrow and the long haul crews? makes you wonder what they would strike over.

I believe BA have decided how they will crew the operation but do not go along with your assertion that balpa have agreed or indeed know. I think you will find that when the time comes they will decide what happens and have no need to negotiate with balpa. To negotiate would imply that balpa have some influence on key financial decisions the company makes
Aaaah, you must be management! BA always believe that they can make their decisions in isolation without the need to take the employees with them. They are invariably wrong as history shows.