PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PFLs before first solo?
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2007, 18:32
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I had an engine failure during my supervised solo hours as a student and now I am an instructor.
A month ago, a student had an engine failure in the circuit in his first flight in his own aircraft (he had never even been dual in it, we refused to fly in it as it is known as the Widowmaker). He had done two go-arounds and then the engine quit at the start of the downwind, so his first landing on a new type was with an engine out!
My experiences have led me to teach PFLs before students go solo. Engine failure has happened to me and has happened to my students while training. So I want students to be prepared. (Wise people learn from other's expereinces, any old fool can learn from their own! So covered both ways here!!)
Personally, since you don't land with a PFL, I think it a useful way of breaking up circuit training if necessary. (Can be a good idea to take a break sometimes).
It also allows you to get a feel of how the student will react when the throttle is closed. (Not a good idea to do this for the first time at 500ft!)
Now, I teach on microlights. many microlight circuits are at 500ft, so engine failure in the circuit could be 500ft, so EFATO might be just 150ft with a landing back on the runway.
So, to me, it makes a logical progression to start with PFLs at 1,000 or 1500ft, then EFIC at 1,000ft and then EFATO at 700, 500, 250 and 100ft, possibly with a land back on the runway ahead.
OK, not the order in the exercises, but it makes sense to me! And it is my butt that is on the line.
Now, as for dangerous and unusual attitudes before solo? Well, in microlighting, solo is Ex17a and all that PFL, EFATO, EFIC, dang and unusual, comes before. But I must say I have sent people solo before then if I felt it was beneficial.
However, the attitude - poss from the RAF - that aircraft don't have engine failures, the weather behaves etc, is a brave one to take. It does mean earlier solos, but does it make better pilots. I don't think so.
Very best wishes,
Colin