PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B + Subsidy - It's on the table - Submn's close 31 Oct
Old 19th Aug 2007, 13:31
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chimbu,

Looks like you're not on Scurvy's A list any more. Thinking for yourself !!, be careful, it might be catching. You might start a whole new trend.

Strange as it may seem to some, and contrary to Scurvy's assertions, I don't have any axe to grind, except that I have a great aversion to fantasy in the aviation world.

I much prefer to stick to facts. And for anybody who wishes to do a search, you will find I am a long time supporter of the original Freeflight concept, and the enabling technology, including ADS-B. Because of the potential economic and safety benefits - at high level. But Freeflight, not what is going on here. Those papers are to be found in the files of a well know pilot union.

And a great aversion to the idea that the bottom end of aviation, which is already struggling under huge cost and other pressures, being stuck with some very expensive equipment by mandate, that addresses no demonstrated safety problem, and from which no measurable benefit is derived.And certainly nothing to offset the initial and ongoing costs.

And a very great aversion to the fact that the ADS-B IN, which is implicit in the RAAA position, is nowhere to be found in the equipment of airline standard. Is there anybody from Eastern lurking, how are the Dash 8 mods. going? --- where is the ADS-B IN ---- anywhere?? The Bush gets it in the neck, again.

Any of you can get onto the web, and do your search, and have a look at the Garmin/Collins/Freeflight Inc./Allied Signals/etc. prices, just for Mode S ADS-B transponders--- and the tiny Australian market won't make much impact on the price ---- if it is mandatory, why would a rational salesman reduce prices and margins to a captive market. Then go looking for the prices of the matching C145/146.

Folks, even if the "subsidy" eventuates (ADS-B OUT only) look at the indicative prices, and it is not a permanent subsidy, only existing aircraft, so it will really help the international competitiveness of the training organisations on the world market (just one example) --- by increasing the price of a new aircraft, after 2011/2013, by somewhere between $20,000-30,000 ---- again, to solve which safety problem.

Tootle pip!!