PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 19th Aug 2007, 10:19
Gnirren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It all boils down to simple economics at the end of the day. It doesn't matter at this point who's to blame, what matters is that companies everywhere are learning from FRs business model and they will adopt it to save money. More worrying they will adopt it to survive. One dangerous strength of ryanair is their ability to make money on other things than ticket prices which means they can lower their fares to the point where most other companies would have to fly with a loss to compete. They will mimic ryanair to make more money, but before long simply to stay in business and that's a simple fact. So as camel says, this is the route we're all set down and I see nothing changing it for now.

When you join now on a SSTR you have to realise that 3-4 years down the road new joiners will be funding their rating AND linetraining with a lower salary to boot. So it will continue, but I think the creep of such practices into other companies has been slow. I don't doubt for a second that it's about to take off properly though and so it's not incorrect to assume that the "get shafted for experience and move to a real airline" is not going to be an option in the future. When that will be I don't know but that's where we're heading. There will not be a shortage of people aching to do your job for less money than you get, and that is the problem we ALL face.

Disregarding this with comments about sour grapes is foolish and ignorant.

Any newbie who's reviwed his or her options and feel that a SSTR is the best route to take by all means do so, after all it's hard to compete in a market where so many other applicants do. But, realise that in my mind the REAL bill for this move will come years later.