PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B + Subsidy - It's on the table - Submn's close 31 Oct
Old 19th Aug 2007, 10:18
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My opinions only
ADS-B in is not mandated/subsidised only ADS-B out.
… if in the process of fitting avionics that includes a GNSS as per the AC and ‘out’ .. does it exclude ‘in’ if it is part of the unit? .. not that I can see!
A TCAD fit for a typical GA light aircraft is about USD20k++...I have no reason to suspect 'in' will be lot cheaper...even if it is 1/2 TCAD it will still be USD10k.
…. Again, maybe … how will we know unless manufacturers know that a critical mass of units will be purchased? … if the standard is common across the globe …. Are we suggesting that GNSS/OUT/IN/Aural cannot be incorporated into one box? … how do the manufacturers answer that until they know there is a market? …. Is Garmin’s jump just a precursor? … maybe maybe not …. The naysayer’s were bleating about no units just weeks ago! … are Garmin the only ones that are gunna build this stuff …doubt it!
ADS-B for GA will be purely a surveilance tool.
.. partly, ATS DTI/ATC Serv to IFR, IFR CDTI (it will happen), VFR CDTI if enough people bark for it!
Don't get me wrong...satellite based ATM is the way of the future...but why the (seeming) undue haste?
.. it's in the doc’s … folks wishing to reduce delays in CTA and reduce third party intervention OCTA and reduce the chance of IFR smacking into VFR, or VFR smacking into VFR ….. sure, dependant on gear in the aircraft …. How many GA aircraft are not seen by TCAS?? … to suggest Mode A, C are even in the same ball park from an accuracy and reliability point of view is fanciful!
I get the feeling the are trying to sell us something quickly so they can decommission some radars in the next cycle of scheduled replacement rather than the one after that.
… it's no feeling Chuck, it is spelt out they have made that funding justification perfectly clear! …. I ask this, if the radars are replaced, and the funding is then not available …. How long unitl ADS-B is mandated do you think? ... a radar lifetime is 20+ years … and in that time how much are the industry paying in delays and ATS that are not necessary?? … has anyone asked that question? ….
It has a 'NAS2b' feel about it ....rushing it in shouting it's benefits from the roof tops
… hang on …. The thing is published, there is a media release, I read the docs’ and immediately put the links etc up here to stimulate awareness and discussion … shouting its benefits from the roof tops? … what, cutting and pasting relevant extracts is
hoping people don't ask too many difficult questions.
…. What difficult questions?
After the first 28 stations are commissioned the low level ADS-B coverage will be sparse to say the least.
… and where are the ground stations? …. I would suggest most of them are positioned to provide line of sight at regional terminals and high level coverage ….. why would you want big brother watching you cross the Simpson Desert at A085 … would ya?
What is the time frame and how many stations required to extend ADS-B down to levels where the GA aircraft they are mandating fitment operate...<8000'?
… depends on where the coverage is deemed necessary … I guess at first grab, RPT regional terminals, Regional D … but then how do you determine yet where to put low level ADS-B surveillance unless you have completed a CBA/risk analysis …. And you cannot do that for ADS-B unless aircraft are gunna be ADS-B equipped … otherwise it would need to be a CBA/Risk Ass based on MSSR …… So which would you put in place first … the chicken or the ADS-B egg’s? …… I mean god forbid making airspace decisions without the correct process right!?
What will ADS-B give those few aircraft that wil have 'in' (eventually), High end/regional turboprops and jets, that they dont get now from TCAS?
…. Demand would make it more than a few ….. and accuracy, reliability and truth in azimuth
The requirement for turbine carrying more than x passengers to carry TCAS going to be withdrawn?
why would you do that? ICAO are working on standards now for ADS-B input to TCAS …. One assumes TCAS in the transition would receive A, C, S and ADS-B displayed/aural traffic …
Why do I need to know where aircraft that cannot effect my operation, because they are outside the range of my TCAS, are?
… you don’t …… do you need to know about the aircraft that can effect your operation? .. of course you do …. So if you have short range .. why would you not want long range for say Oceanic
If ADS-B is not going to have any effect on capital city terminal airspace capacity, because of noise sharing/runway constraints that ADS-B cannot address, and the enroute airspace in Australia is not crowded as is that in the US/EU why the rush?
… well that depends if the industry …. i.e. you want:-
- Surface monitoring with Runway Incursion alarms (the biggest single risk in air traffic management in the world today)
- Accurate surveillance that negates expensive kit like the PRM
- Less spurious TCAS events due TMA proximities
- multiple level target response in ACAS to things like Surface vehicles visible on your CDTI (low vis op’s, runway humps etc)
- Vehicles with a basic display to see you thundering down the tar in the fog!
.. just to name a few … no, no rush
One of the drivers, if not THE driver, for the FAA's move to satellite based ATM is they have convinced themselves that their airspace is going to be inundated with many 1000s of VLJs...the way the US economy is going that very much remains to be seen...and who cares anyway it won't effect Australia...we might see 20.
… VLJ is but one aspect, I would suggest the existing saturation is more the point but to identify that as the driver would be to admit not having done enough … wouldn’t it?
The US probably has a real need even without 1000s of VLJs but they are not rushing in mandating everything capable of sustained flight has ADS-B within 5 years...why are we?
… because we can afford to fund the relatively smaller fleet …. Probably because we do not have the Primary and ATS infrastructure spending the US has to face because of years of indecision??
Why don't we just wait and see what Australia needs rather than base decisions on what countries with truly busy airspace feel they need?
…. Yes why not!
Australia has such a tiny aviation industry compared to the US/EU/Asia etc...the last thing we need to be doing is behaving like trendsetters in this area.
…. The trend is already known …
What imperative does mandatory ADS-B out in GA answer?
…. Because we cannot afford to fit the fleet and buy radar and put in ADS-B ground stations ….! And smart SMR radars (that are no where near as smart as ADS-B) … and remember those little squat switches for the TXPDR … hmm don’t need them with ADS-B
SSD...answer my questions based on your understanding of the issues.
They are not rhetorical questions designed to put doubt in people minds.
…. That’s the best I can give you seeing I have just returned home after being on the go since 5am Friday .. but that’s another aviation story!
My first vote was for option 3...the more I read and thought about the issues as I experience them in my work and fun flying the more questions I had...I now prefer option 1 within the Oz GA context and in the short to medium term.
.. and you have based that on assumptions and the opinions of a couple whose opinions arrive without any corroboration (links, quotes etc) … your call I guess
Upper level ADS-B makes all the sense in the world within the local regulatory context of providing ATM coverage across a vaste continent to cheaply...how many current generation Boeings/Airbus will be ADS-B capable remains to be seen...
not really, the manufacturers along with the services providers and regulators have been quoted in the documents that has the Australian Government imprimatur … as cynical as I am, I am inclined to believe IATA, ICAO, ASTRA and their composite representatives across industry (including the manufacturers) over the opinions of a retired 74 pilot with an axe to grind and another without any factual support for their assertions! …. But hey that’s me … ever the doubting Thomas!
I remain to be convinced about the practicle/political realities of low level ADS-B.
…. Fair enough then!
With no time line for low level ADS-B you can not logically have a time line for mandating GA fitment.
.. and without a timeline for fitment and funding to support that timeline … how do you timeline surveillance decisions before an aerostudy ... duplicate aerostrudies on the Australian airspace volumes? ..... yep thats gunna happen in time to make a smart decsion on buying 20+ multi-million dollar radar heads?
NO CHICKEN .. NO EGG .. NO CHICKEN
STAUS QUO ….. Bargain!
AusNAS 3 here we come!