PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B + Subsidy - It's on the table - Submn's close 31 Oct
Old 19th Aug 2007, 08:36
WhatWasThat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q - What does ADS-B Out do for me?

A - Most of OZ is currently not surveilled, this means aircraft must be separated by ridiculously large, inflexible procedural standards. Procedural standards are typically 6 times larger than surveillance standards as well as being much more complex to apply. If ATC can see you we will say no to your requests much less often (about 85% less often)

Air Route design is dictated by the silly procedural standards - this costs you time and money as well as forcing aircraft onto two way routes over existing ground based NAVAIDs which is dangerous and stupid - Surveillance means more direct tracking as well as racetrack patterns. Racetracks make clouds less lumpy.

Procedural traffic information is better than nothing - but not that much better. Which would you prefer? "IFR traffic is ABC passed somewhere sometime ago estimating somewhere else sometime in the future" OR "Traffic in your 11o'clock 4nm crossing right to left"

Extension of control area protection below F180 is very difficult without Surveillance - assuming there is enough traffic to warrant control area protection. If Dick were to get his way, and class E was extended down to 1200ft outside radar coverage, you can expect the system to grind to an immediate shuddering halt. Start clearances anyone?

Apart from keeping our customers from encountering a lumpy cloud, one of the ways we ATC's earn our pay is to assist in some small way if an aircraft gets into trouble. Take it from me there is a hell of a lot more we can do for you if we can actually see you.

Of course I am an ATC - and therefore may be involved in the great government/union/alien ADS-B conspiracy to control the minds of iconic entrepreneurs everywhere - feel free to detune your radio and don tin foil hat.