PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lockhart River Coroners Findings (Merged)
Old 19th Aug 2007, 02:28
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frank Burden - I have to whole heartedly agree with you

Possibly the moderator has got it right, this thread lacks sufficient depth to remain on the D&G Reporting Points site.
Maybe because of post #9

Page 53 of the Coroners report (bolding mine)

Primary responsibly for the incident must rest with the captain of the aircraft, a highly experienced and competent pilot. He knew that the approach he was planning to undertake into Lockhart River on 7 May was inconsistent with official regulations and Transair’s policies. He must have also known that his departure from it was fraught with risk. The contribution of the co-pilot, if any, can not be known. CASA submitted that responsibility for the crash started and ended in the cockpit; that there was nothing that any other individual or organisation could have done to prevent the crash. I don’t accept that. There is no evidence that Captain Hotchin was suicidal or that he habitually disregarded his safety of that of his passengers. It is necessary therefore to consider the context in which the actions occurred and the external influences that may have impacted on his behaviour. That is what the ATSB report and these findings have attempted to do.
I have also found that Transair failed to adequately monitor its pilots and to take steps to ensure that they were all complying with its policies. In my view the evidence establishes that its safety management system (My comment - that includes CASA) and the performance of key personnel was sub-optimal.
I have highlighted what I consider to be a number of deficiencies in CASA’s surveillance and audit of Transair and its departure from its own procedures. I have made recommendations about how some of those issues could be addressed, as has the ATSB.
That does not mean that CASA is to blame for the crash. There is no compelling evidence that if it had scrupulously followed all of its procedures and processes, the deficiencies that led to the crash would have been obviated, although it is impossible to avoid the conclusion that the risk may have been reduced.