PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Strike?
Thread: Easyjet Strike?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2007, 20:47
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having worked for several different airlines over many years I am somewhat surprised at the idea that easyjet pilots might be contemplating a strike. In my experience, in recent memory, strikes have rarely or never achieved their desired objectives.
In this industry, most strikes have occured just prior to a company going out of business. I do not see easyJet going out of business in the near future.
Why do people go on strike? Because all other avenues have failed to produce the desired result.
Why has the desired result failed to occur? Because the employees feel that their pay and conditions have slipped so far behind the industry standard that they feel strongly enough to make a fuss.
Believe me, pay and conditions in easyjet are a very long way from the worst in this industry, be it in UK or Europe.
The pilots will not strike because they have little to gain. Even if easyJet were to concede and pay them the best rates in the industry, they would not be so very far from where they are now.
They already get close to the best T&Cs in the LOCO market and only blinkered and naive newcomers to this job think otherwise.
Do some research and examine exactly what you are getting compared to others in the same situation.
Talk to your management and make a deal.
Whatever deal you make will be unsatisfactory to many who think that they deserve more. But that has always been the case in aviation.
I am worth far more than that!
I deserve more because someone else gets this much!
I want, I want, I want.
I don't want management making lots of money.
I want some of their bonuses.
I do the work and they get the money.
Me, me, me, me.
For goodness sake, stop whingeing and get on with the job.
Pathetic and sad, all of you who are advocating a strike.
Save it for something important.