PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Shortage
Old 18th Aug 2007, 19:32
grababadger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is a 'massive' generalisation to assume that all ab-inito student's are somewhat incapable. I myself an ex-newcastle student have contracted for 2 years post work experience without any complaints.. I have not yet applied for my license because I feel that more experience, i.e. troubleshooting is required, although in theory I could apply.

I do think that it is the fault of the 'old school' engineer, of whom many are very nice people, but appear to be threatened and annoyed by us hard working ex-students. I have worked with many mechanics, with plus 10 years experience and feel that they know very little in comparison (mainly the ones that whinge), although the very good mechanics are nothing but helpful...

Ok.... intially some students are slow learners in the practical world, but the quicker the experienced guys help us out and not just sneer at the very word BRISTOL, the quicker people like me will learn and go on to obtain the B1 with the required experience.

Finally for the record, 2 years exams/practical followed by 2-3years hands on experience gives an average of 4.5 years apprenticeship. Also this is followed by a type-rating, typically requiring a further 6 month's experience.

Please for the sake of the industry help us out 'where required' and not just assume that we are all the same. The alternative is that the shortage continues and our small industry is shipped off to places like Estonia and maybe even Poland. Think hard...