PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2007, 19:09
flyer146

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lemurian wrote p82 :
2. An important call-out is missing on the CVR : " No DECEL !", indicating the auto-brake isn't functioning as set.
I do not agree with you Lemurian.
To my understanding (and at least on A330/340), the decel green light will only come if the selected deceleration rate is effectively achieved.
No green light not meaning that the system is not functionning but merely meaning that the selected decel rate is not achieved (ref FCOM airbus).
This would be quite usual on slippery runways for example and would not be considered (alone) as a malfunction of the autobrake at first glance by the crew (probably even expecting not to see this light right away after landing on this difficult/slippery landing)! Correct me if I am wrong...

Human factors, aircraft design, weather, airport, etc... etc... etc... as in all other accidents have played a role in this tragedy and have to be analysed.

To my opinion, leaving one of the thrust lever in CLB detent during the roll out and not noticing it is a real possibility due to the focussing on the reverser problem by the PF. Although we all have learned since basics not to do so and the SOP's/MEL's being clear, it could be easily done I think in this machine even, unfortunately, by an experienced pilot.

What about the cockpit lighting at the moment of the crash ? Pedestal lighting ? I remember how an unbalance in the cockpit lighting led to a go around on one of my flights a couple of years ago. One switch controlling a lot of panels but with a big unbalance between them and you could be looking for the correct lever/switch or it could just be "hidden" of your normal scan/"view" without that you especially notice it ! And in a stress situation : even worse...(even if PF mistake ; would PNF have a chance to detect this uncorrect TL position ??? don't think so...)

Did you ever noticed how "dark" a cockpit/pedestal/TL's can be at night ? And the accident happend at night, right ?
Also, the thrust levers are "small"/short length and thus for the same angle, the displacement gives quite a reduced viewable effect.
TL's are black color in this aircraft.
No chance to notice this in the given weather conditions/runway length were the PNF having seen that something was wrong and unable to solve the problem was certainly rapidly looking outside trying to help the PF to avoid the worse...

Talking about the airbus design here above : these are facts ! Now, did they play a negative role in this accident, that's another story! Maybe this same design helped a lot of crew in difficult situations as well and you won't ever know this because not reported !
Would another configuration/design be better : long studies have probably been done before design already and prove that it's not the case. Remember, it's all about compromise...and will never be "PERFECT" cos it's human.

Nevertheless, we'll ALL have to learn something from this : that's the only thing important : let's all learn something so that the same occurance does not happen again. Let's improve our awareness, our training and of course let's improve the design if no other "too negative"effects are induced by the modifications.......... !

Flyer146