PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police Job UK
Thread: Police Job UK
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2007, 12:55
VeeAny

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Sgt

I think problem is that, with enough money to throw at the problem a lot people who perhaps should have taken up flower arranging can eventually get through the system.

We all probably know of some CPL holder that we wouldn't let fly our children around. I know of one 5000hr+ guy who talks a good flight, but can't really handle with any flair, and one sub 400hr guy who's handling is spot on (Yes flown with both)

If on the day a CPL test candidate is not up to scratch I am sure the CAA will have no qualms about failing or partialling them, however if they make the grade on the day, then they become the industry's problem (so to speak).

The onus of the problem is now pushed onto the Chief Pilot, and TREs within any company that chooses to employ said pilot. This will weed out some of the remaining problem individuals.

There always remains the situation were someone has paid lots of money into a company for training to CPL standard and suddenly they need a pilot tomorrow. At this point Mr CP chooses to use said problem individual and it probably doesn't matter how good or bad they are, they are going off to work tomorrow no matter what.

The system isn't perfect, I think thats one reason that some companies favour ex Mil Pilots is as stated earlier, that they are selected through a pretty unforgiving process and if they get through clearly have some kind of aptitude for the job (doesn't they're perfect, but then who is).

All IMHO anyway.

V.