PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus Pilots to Strike
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2007, 12:18
alibaba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OW22, you are quite obviously blinkered as again you answer nothing which An Paddy Eile has put to you. I might be a little presumptuous but I think you have no Legacy carrier experience and as such you have never had T+C's that are worth protecting. You have only tried to discredit part of the post while the thrust of the post is quite obviously right.

It seems from your type of posting that you might be working for a Irish contract agency. Do you not see that a good proportion of pilots do not want to contract and want fair and well set out T+C's.

Anyway to answer your points;

AL management have made the logical decision to offer T's and C's appropriate to the local market. That's what businesses do.
BFS and DUB is the same local market. There is realistically no difference. This point has already been answered anyway by An Paddy Eile.

Sigh...no, pilots in EI are NOT having their current T's and C's attacked. These new T's and C's are applicable to BFS, a new base outside the ROI. We can go round in circles if you wish, but that is the crux of the matter.
Sigh... Yes pilots in EI are having their T+C's attacked. Why can't the BFS base be under the same T+C's? It is the same market and it is regulated and contracted under Irish law so why does it not follow the same conditions? Again it has no bearing of where the base is. A base in Stockholm would be more expensive than Cork but you get paid the company rate. If you don't like it you don't go to that base, simple.

You are simply making an over-emotional, ill funded guess with no basis of proof that somehow that BFS will mean ROI pilots will be threatened.
I'm not emotional at all to this matter, but I do see the dangers of what this type of management practice can do to pilots and their jobs and profession. On the matter of proof, I have given the example of FR and Easy with relation to Easy's Spanish contracts and FR's multi base, multi contract drive down on base by base costs and T+C's. Look at the current pay deal mess FR is on with multiple contracts and agreement after agreements being broken by management. Hence the court cases FR currently have ongoing with its staff and past cases. Both these companies are doing this type of practice to try and drive down labour costs. It in turn has an affect on the other bases. I have seen this first hand. The management play each base off against the other. I understand where you are coming from in some respect OW22 but as somebody who is currently in the middle and who is and has experienced this type of behaviour and action. It is a defined strategy to lower T+C's across the board. As a retired pilot you must be able to see that people are more closely involved in this and can see it for exactly what it is, more so than yourself? Pilots are posting here who have prior experiences of this strategy. What is your problem with believing your past fellow colleagues who are telling you that this is exactly what is happening?

No it doesn't. you don't know that, again you're guessing,
I have answered that above. I am not guessing and have seen it first hand. This strategy has been played out on me and other colleagues.

Answering some of dublingirls comments;

it's not really the same idea as what ryanair are doing, because as far as i can see the main thing EI are focusing on is work practices not salaries. salary scales start higher, are shorter, and the management has yet to disclose the top level. the idea is that you can progress faster, but only if you work harder. and the general consensus is that the top level will be lower than the top level at dub, which is obviously going to be unpopular. but the basic principle is to move towards more of a meritocracy. so sounds like it'd be a good place to be for a young pilot starting out, but not such a good place to spend your later years.
This is exactly the same as what FR is doing. You get paid a little more at the start so it leads to you enjoying the base for quick short term and even possibly medium term gain but in the long run you will suffer greatly. This deal seeks to entice you to stay but there are no good viable long terms prospects with a pension being a bi-word for a joke. You also don't necessarily progress quicker the harder you work. Also who decides who is working harder and to a better quality? What justifies promotion etc? We will all be somewhere in our latter years dublingirl and we should all realise that. This is a point in life where we will all be. This is the point where you will be preparing for your even later years but now without the ability or resources to do this as you would have liked. There is also the point that this is not just about wages. There is a lot more to T+C's than your pay. Which is what quite a bit of this argument is about.

I will ask again what is the problem with offering the same T+C's as the rest of the company?

only problem with that argument is the company are saying it def won't happen. and by the sounds of it, they'd be wiling to sign an agreement to that effect.
Will that be the same bit of paper the old agreement was signed on? Because they just ripped that up and threw it in the bin...... If they do not stick to an agreement how can you trust them on another agreement?

changes to the dub base are coming anyway and were coming long before anyone mentioned the belfast word. by the time anyone actually transfers between dub and belfast chances are the stark differences in the t&c won't be as stark anymore
They are not coming anyway if the pilots can help it. This is what pilots on here are pointing out and hence why EI pilots are striking. This is a blatant attack by management on current DUB T+C's. It is quite clear to what either sides reasons for action is.