PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus Pilots to Strike
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2007, 11:51
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the grim repa:

"Aer lingus to use two ryanair scab aircraft to operate during next weeks (sic) strike".

"The names of those operating will be noted".

I think you need to revise your definition of scab. To my mind, the definition of scab would be an Aer Lingus pilot who crossed an official Aer Lingus picket line or else a pilot, not employed by Aer Lingus, who crossed the line to sit in an Aer Lingus pilot's seat in an Aer Lingus aircraft.

How you can use the term for wet lease aircraft and crew is beyond me. You may remember the Australian pilots' strike of 1989? Ansett had to wet lease aircraft from all over the world including some from Britannia for example. Are you telling me that the Britannia crews were scabs for flying their own aircraft on a wet lease? As, I am sure you are well aware, Britannia is a BALPA company. Maybe they don't agree with your definition either?

I have never worked for Britannia, Ryanair or Aer Lingus but I think we should get our definitions right.

Has it ever occured to you that the more wet leasing that Aer Lingus have to do the better? It is a very expensive exercise and usually gets them back to the negotiating table faster.

Finally, why should you note the names of wet leasing pilots? Are you planning to take them down a dark alley in Dublin and duff them up? If so, I think you might need some help.