PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air Expat Contract
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2007, 10:24
stator vane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sim/interview---

you should be able to get some charts from CCL-

study them and you will see that the VOR approach requires a rather steep descent close in, so if you simply think ahead, configure early on the downwind leg, get fully configured early, so that with the steep descent, you will not get a config induced sink rate warning, otherwise, it is a piece of cake.

then they will have an engine failure, simply comply with the headings, level offs etc. and the usual go around etc...nothing that is not in the boeing FCTM.

then they will ask you for a close in visual approach, just like given in the boeing FCTM, 2 miles abeam, etc. my first visual was a long stretched out affair, aiming to turn in at the marker, since most airlines never want to see you do a short close in visual. they stopped the sim, and told me i needed to do a close in. so we tried it again and made it though not a pretty sight. but i always had control of the aircraft. and that's whats they are really looking for. if you are going to err, make it on the side of safety.

they will ask you to bring your own QRH and use your SOP's--and they most likely are very similar world wide. but with little quirks here and there and different verbage at various times.

the interview was alone in front of 5, (i think) one american and the others Koreans. very stern looking, but don't let that scare you. be open and communicate clearly. a question about QNH and QNE--i really can't remember. but a no brainer really. (their transition altitude is 14000 feet, but that wasn't the question) a question or two about CRM, how would you get along with Korean culture, etc, your flying experience, why did you leave so and so, why do you want to come here and eat funny food---(i really like some of their food) etc. must have lasted all of 5 to 10 minutes. when in rome, do as the romans---be courteous and respect the positions of the individuals involved. do not be artificial.

my father taught me a long time ago with the back of his hand, to respect the position, in spite of your attitude toward the individual in the position. and i really haven't found any reason to change that perspective. and i suppose, i'm gullible enough to assume that the one in any position deserves my respect until they prove otherwise. that goes for checkairmen, (especially when they are holding the ink pen and the check form), and all the way up the ladder to a prostitute.

the medical is an all day affair and that is where the fall out usually occurs. they test things that you didn't know you had. and use machines that you will not seen anywhere else. the peripheral vision test is the most difficult thing i have done--in staying awake and keeping your eye open. never seen it except in Korea.

then they take a photo of the back of your eye with a light so bright you can feel it hit the back of your eye and you are blind for a couple of weeks!!! ha.
they take blood and poke things, sonogram, ears, eyes to the tenth power. urine, and you have to be hungry!!!!

you either make the medical or not. all westerners have high cholesterol (sp)
and have one foot in the grave, are overweight etc---so the only thing you could do is lose some weight and don't eat anything you enjoy for a few weeks before the tests!!!!

that is the one downer about the whole affair to my mind, that in house Korean medical every six months!!!

i am still debating with myself as to whether i will actually go there or not.
when you go, and are in the hotel, order the "beebimbap" and be sure to tell them to put the hot sauce in a separate dish so that you can control how much flame will be coming out through your ears!!! a delicious dish. but DO NOT ORDER IT ON THE AIRCRAFT on the way over!!!!

in my opinion, the Koreans have an ability to focus and a self discipline that deserves respect from anyone. look what they have accomplished after their country was entirely destroyed in the 50's in a struggle between the Russians and the americans which later included the Chinese. they are on the same level with all other countries in europe.

worth a try and if you look and listen, you will learn something and will be a better person for spending some time there.