PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - We are men !!
Thread: We are men !!
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2007, 07:45
rmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started this thread late at night after a few whiskies.....

What I think my point was.......is, and captured partially by the clip, was the thought that if we are talking war for freedom and survival, there was a real one not so long ago.........and it took the efforts of everyone (in many cases whether they liked it or not) to "get down to business to defeat the hun", and it wasn't easy.

Lord Deedes who died yesterday, wrote an account in the Telegraph last year called "the worst day of my life" when circumstances around a company sized attack on a bridge caused him (as company commander) to lose all three of his platoon commanders and almost half his company, most of whom had been with him for over a year since the D-day landings.
As has been covered many times in this forum, WW2 bomber crew were almost on a suicide mission.

While the MOD media people do a good job of handling the unfortunate deaths of servicemen, can you imagine how many people that department would have had to employ in WW2 to produce the same.

The point.....if we are on a global war for freedom and justice ?....then "lets get down to business to defeat the .......?" suspend "normal life" and get the job done.

or

Is it all about money ? better to fight but not disturb the stock markets, secure the oil, whatever, and outsource the indefinate rotations to the troops who have "volunteered" to do it anyway.

If we continue to approach it the way we are doing, it will be like painting the forth rail bridge, never finished. Except at some time, so many painters will have fallen off the bridge that the rest will quit

And talking about quitting, how many WW2 personnel had the option of quitting half way through a tour of ops, or halfway to the Rhine.

Lewis its good to have the stories, assuming you survive, and their are millions of graves scattered around Europe and the rest of the world that prove survival is by no means a foregone conclusion.

Anyway ramble over....take it as you will.....