PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul Phelan’s article in The Australian on Fri 10 Aug.
Old 18th Aug 2007, 06:30
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,

To add a little fuel to the fire!

Are the increased gross weight any longer valid, an STC to an airworthiness standard that has been repealed, and an Australian AFM that is no longer valid.

This came up when C-47, VH-EDC went swimming in Botany Bay some years ago. The pilot was accused of operating over MTOW, base on the old Australian AFM weights, (26,200lb, as I recall, the end result of an industrial dispute) but the pilot was entitled to operate the aircraft to the FAA AFM, which specified (in this case) a higher weight.

My best guess is that the T-C AFM limitations now apply to Aero Commanders--- comments --- unless CASA has produced a concession to continue operations at the "Australian" weights.

There must have been some structural justification of the higher weight, as I recall a spar strap was required, and the existing Australian spar strap was an acceptable means of compliance when an FAA AD for a spar strap appeared on the scene.

Tootle pip!