PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2007, 21:47
TripleBravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remember that one of my ifs was that one of the pilots only recently had been trained to fly the A-320.
I thought about that as well as about transitions from B737 to A320 at its different philosophies. But what puzzles me, as far as I remember correctly, he was PNF in the right seat, but the throttles were operated from the left seat.

autobrake MED has a target [...]
Small remark: At A320, Autobrake LO has a target deceleration of 1.7 m/sē, Autobrake MED 3.0 m/sē. Finally found it in the documentation:

Source: A320 FCOM 1.32.30

given that pilots have not responded to a *very specific* suggestion to activate it ("Retard")
I feel we are going right into human factors at this one. Couldn't you get very much used to hearing that because it is heard at (almost) every landing? Once more, three times "retard" can well be heard when trying a very soft and comfortable landing and thus pulling back the levers very slowly, be it recommended or not. That is why I wouldn't be surprised when there is probably no immediate "neuron link" like "I heard retard => something is wrong".

OK, it's 95 kts they left the runway, not 90, so they have been more dead???

Ridiculous...
Please note, there are pilots that are scientists or engineers at the same time. Being a pilot doesn't mean you disrespect numbers.

I agree with PBL, there is clear evidence that the manual braking had at least some effect. To add my own rough calculations for those who bother about:

The overall mean deceleration was 1.08 m/sē, leading to a landing roll distance of 2.4 km. The MLG left the runway at approx. 101 knots, Accel Long and Vert give good hints that it took place at 18:48:48.5.

After applying full manual brakes, the deceleration was about 1.21 m/sē. Had they applied max. brakes 5 s after MLG touchdown, i. e. 1 second after "spoilers nada" while rolling at 139 knots, they still would have left the runway 49.5 s later, but the overshooting velocity would have been something around 23 knots (42 km/h, 11.6 m/s). Assumption: Actual LDA was 1840 m, because I don't know the exact touchdown point yet. A variation of 50 m would roughly translate into 2 knots more or less.

Remember, all other parameters remain unchanged (lift dumpers, braking coefficients, thrust settings, left brakes not fully applied, ...) except the timing of applying brakes.

Jugdge yourself whether 23 versus 101 knots would have made a difference or not.

Last edited by TripleBravo; 17th Aug 2007 at 22:12. Reason: LDA assumption