PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2007, 17:40
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s&t

Originally Posted by slip and turn
can you summarise clearly the revision items you would concentrate on if you can think yourself into their position
I can only say what I am thinking about at the moment.

I'm thinking, for example, about the guidance concerning Loss of Braking. As in, how much extra runway might you need if you don't get the decel light (for whatever reason) and you follow the Loss of Braking SOP. Looking at data from this accident, it seems to me you could need 1950 m after TD (let's say at 250m beyond threshold), plus your procedural time for getting to stomping the pedals, which amounts to, say, 5 seconds (at 70 m/s) or 350 m. Total 2550m. You can reduce that to 2200 m if you choose to land with manual braking.

That's a lot of real estate, which not all airports have. But it seems to me those are the figures you play with if you want leeway to screw up a landing a bit and still roll out safely. And it looks somewhat different from the figures in the Ops Manual.

Now, people do screw up. And sometimes in the most incomprehensible ways. It would seem prudent to accommodate that. How could that be done? I'd like to hear some thoughts on the written guidance on landing distances, and how it could accommodate slip-ups, but it doesn't appear to be the theme du jour.

PBL

Last edited by PBL; 17th Aug 2007 at 18:16.