PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss over East London
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2007, 16:11
gone_fishing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Paull, ATCOs at West Drayton (currently where the TC sectors, and the major London airports Approach Control Service Units are situated) do the best job possible in such a busy piece of airspace. Vertically is the best way to maintain separation and laterally is generally the best way to create separation. Obviously, in such busy airspace like the LTMA this is not always the case, but certainly in inter-TMA aerodrome separation it is. Although you might already understand this, I will give you a specific extract from the current SID charts for the SAM departures from LCY off 28:

SAM4T
LON D23 at 3000' (6.1%)
LON D27 at 3000'
LON D31 at 4000'
DET VOR at 4000'.

As you can see, they climb initially to 3,000ft. Until they are past 27DME from LON (London VOR) they cannot climb any further. Once past 27DME, they can climb to 4,000ft, which they must reach by 31DME from LON. Now, just as a reference for you, in a normal (if that applies in TC) day, at any given time, aircraft inbound LHR would not normally be below MSL there, which is dependant on the QNH, but is no lower than FL70. As you can see, plenty of separation in that part.

At the real ATCOs in TC, correct anything I stated incorrectly, I'm sure there might be something.... because I seem to be one of the only people that recognise I'm not a real ATCO anywhere, let alone in TC and I don't know everything