PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carson Blades
Thread: Carson Blades
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2007, 10:39
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jungly AEO,
Oh deary me - so from all accounts you must be one of those earmarked to go and dont want to miss out on the chance of another gong on the chest. All this stuff about 'primitives surviving' and 'truisms of war' and 'going with what you have got' either smack of a swallowed staff college publication or a script from Blackadder.

The sad thing is that I really do hope that your optimism is right and that this post is pure drama queens making a mountain out of mole hill.
My thrust and passion (and very nearly a WEBF obsession) is that if we are as broke as not to equip our aircrew with the best, most technologically advanced, fighting, armed, defended, agile, manoeuvreable aircraft that the Her Majesty can get her hands on, then lets not spend the money on a half hearted attempt.

If at the end of the month I am that broke I dont go shopping - and if I really do need something at the end of the month, when the bank account is empty, I apply for a loan to ensure what I really need is properly done - or I go without.

When people's lives are at stake, this is a situation that requires the Treasury and the bean counters to put their hands in their pockets and stump up. There are CH47s out there and a US Foreign Military Sales will rapidly acquire them for us (that special relationship is not dead).
As to HMS OCEAN, folding heads, lifts - sorry - not convinced. The current 'war' for UK whether we like it or not is Afghanistan and Iraq, both do not need an Amphibious presence.

If those in positions of power were to take any risk it must surely be with the Amphib boys - if it is that strapped that it is piling everything into a committment without a ship in sight, then who cares about folding heads, lifts etc - lets win todays battle and let the procurement boys sort out the right aircraft with all of the bells and whistles when we have extricated ourselves from this 'War On Terror'.

Ironically, the Sea King (by its very name) is ideal at plugging the Amphib role where training must be continued for the wars of tomorrow. But in the interim (for this war - here and now - with troops in contact as we type), if both Canada and Australia are sourcing extra CH47s (and lets be honest this is what is really required in Theatre) then lets wake up, smell the coffee and give the Junglies 6 CH 47 to do the job properly.

I will get off my soap box, and I really do hope that the blades and mods provide what is required and all return home safely - there is no doubt that I will not mind one bit in being proven wrong on this one and if humble pie is required in the years ahead then I will eat it with a smile.

Now, if the CH47 is is too big and it is not lift that the boys on the ground want, but a smaller capability - then give the Junglies the 6 Dane Merlins. Not quite an HH-60 but better than a Sea King, even on steroids!

Fly safe

Last edited by MaroonMan4; 17th Aug 2007 at 21:22.