PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC 50th birthday, looking for 50 cracking good stories
Old 17th Aug 2007, 09:33
Gus T Breeze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeep,

It was one of those month-long autumn NATO FTX in Germany in the early '80s. I was a Gazelle driver with 664 Sqn and we had deployed to our normal op area, fairly close to the IGB in the ADIZ. Myself and my crewman, Steve P****n (late RAMC), were on an airborne patrol on our side of the border during the 'escalation of tension' phase, prior to the hostile act being committed.

We spotted a Dutch Lynx APC (orange forces) on our side of the border and landed alongside them to investigate. They were very friendly and it transpired that they were genuinely lost and had inadvertently strayed to our side of the border. While we were there, Steve and I asked if we could have a look round the APC, never having seen one close up before, and they were only too happy to oblige. Steve went first and climbed up through the commander's cupola and, after a very short time, came down again. I was just about to climb up myself, but he was extremely insistent that we should leave immediately. I tried to ask what was the hurry, but he just ushered me back to the Gazelle. While I was 'flashing it up' to leave with the 'Cloggie' APC crew looking on, Steve was quite agitated. It was only once safely airborne that he undid his combat jacket and produced the APC commander's exercise map, with all the current and planned orange forces locations marked on it! We took it straight to the 9/12 Lancers Regtl CP (who we were supporting) and presented our ill-gotten gains much to their delight.

Having gleaned all the useful information from it, someone cried 'foul' and we were ordered to take it back to the 'Cloggies'. We hadn't got the nerve to land and give it back, so we weighted it down and dropped it out of the window as we overflew them.

Happy days!