PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor Shortage.
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2007, 03:49
Wanderin_dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd love to instruct, as with everyone else the money's the problem.
I'm a former chief pilot, few years of charter work so i bring a bit with me to the table.

I moved back to Melb with the intention of becoming an instructor. So what was i expected to do? Fork out $15K and i was told that the best i could be offered was $300-350 a week casual wages. You'd have to be mad! This was with the mob with the best pay in town too!!

So i did what many others have done, left aviation and walked into a job with nowhere near the responibilities/stress and earning $1000+ p/w.

Instructors are worth at least whatever they can get elsewhere. Pilots are not muppets we have significant skills and the aura of just being a pilot opens doors (silly, but true). When unemployment is low we can find well paying jobs in other industries. I'm not going to take a significant pay cut just to get back in the cockpit. I love flying and am lucky enough to have a weekend job which keeps the 'hand in'. If i didn't i would go pay for a few hours a month, fly at my leisure and still be well ahead financially.

I've got 1500 hours, all the useful bells and whistles. So what would it take for me to instruct?
Either pay for my training and a $45k salary, i'm happy to be bonded, this is a 2 way street after all.
Or if i have to pay for my training then it'd have to be $50k+ . Lot of people will look at this and think he's crazy, but i can get better than this elsewhere. At the end of the day this is business, i'm not gonna cut my own legs off because i love it. I've got a life and responsibilities too that need to be looked after.
So any offers?