PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2007, 02:18
marciovp
I support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About the pilots

From what I read, the pilot who was in charge had been with TAM (AB) since 1988, was single, lived with his family and was close to retiring. The co-pilot had been recently promoted to Comandant after being with TAM since January 2007 training for 6 months with the AB. In 2001 he worked for GOL (Boeing 737) from September to December. GOL did not inform why he left. We donīt know what he did in terms of flying from 2001 to 2007. Previous to 2001 he flew about 20 years for Transbrasil
(Boeings, including 767 to and from the US). A colleague of his at Transbrasil wrote a very good paper on him saying how he was a nice person, competent and healthy in the 20 years they worked for the same company. I am not sure if this helps but remember that one of my ifs was that one of the pilots only recently had been trained to fly the A-320.

I also find it interesting that after the crash TAM is now anouncing that it will not allow its planes do land on wet runways with one reverser locked up. And that they will buy (US$5000.00) the new software with better warning for pilots when facing the situation that seemed to have developped in this disaster.