PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 162 SkyCatcher
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2007, 00:48
pprfhf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down I Agree Completly

Yawn - old technology in new purple color.

I am one the bigger guys (325 lbs.) so it's really a single seater for me and many more people fed by McDonalds etc. The engines are plain junk and heavy, expensive and overhauls are expensive too. But since Cessna bought them, that's what they use for as long as they can sell the crap. I am surprised that they have over 700 contracts for this bird. Just look at the old round throttle control. For $110,000 plus tax, I expect something nicer than a round handle. Everything looks cheap and it is. Just like a GM product. Well, as long as there are idiots buying it... Not me.

The plane is too slow, the range is very limited, the payload sucks and the engine technology is outdated. And who wants a stick anyways? No room for a portable GPS or maps etc. The seats look uncomfortable, but who cares, it doesn't go very far anyhow.

For the same money I can retrofit a 1970s 172 with a Thielert turbo Diesel and I have a 4 seater that flies high and fast and carries my bikes with room to spare. It would even include new paint, interior and new glass and some nice avionics. I figure it will fly for about half the cost.

I will look for a 1976 172 now!