PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When will Instructors get paid properly?
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2007, 19:39
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have seen latley that instructors wages are starting to rise to an almost live-able rate
Really? Tell me where.......

Nope, sorry for any offence caused folks - I can assure you this was not my intention. Of course, a certain amount of healthy controversy is always a good way of stimulating debate but my right arm is strong enough already (as G-KEST already intimated!) to require any more extra-curricular activities on the FI front!

Now then, EASA are working (and doing a good job IMHO) to sort out the poor (in places) standard of PPL instruction in a few isolated spots across the UK and I for one support them.

However, my gripe is that those who would make superb career instructors may be 'put off' the idea when those few experienced PPL'rs decide an FI rating is for them. I stand (as always) to be corrected but, in the good ole days, PPL holders with circa 200hrs became eligable to take the FIC, no?

Balance that with someone who, from the age of ten aspires to become an FI and then realises that wages are about £7.50/ flight hr (in the mid-80's AVeryCP?) then obviously much less than is already the presently low amount.

OK, forget 'scabs' and forget 'professional' terminology but we can see that the pointers indicate a trend towards the degradation of flight instruction purely on the basis that those who instruct under zero wages might not care as much as those whose livelihood rely upon their work.

"Discuss"

VFE.