PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maths or Physics?
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2007, 18:54
WillDAQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm... tough decision really..

From my what I know BMAC (Cardiff at any rate) have 3 basic levels of 'engineer'. I can't remember the exact names but they're something like:

- 'Mechanic' which is the basic level where you're trained on the job to do specific tasks but not to involved in the whole paperwork side of maintaining an aircraft.

- 'Technician' which is the next level up, so more specifically skilled, taken some exams and able to sign stuff off.

- 'Engineer' People who sign aircraft off and deal alot with the paperwork side. There are also a few guys who do things like sit on MSG panels and in some cases are qualified to certify modifications to the aircraft.

If you're looking to take the degree route you're more likely to end up somewhere like Airbus designing the aircraft rather than BMAC maintaining them.

So to the question... physics or maths.. well both really. Aero eng in the UK is a bit different than many degrees in that I would say at least half of the unis that run it are looking for AAB where the A's are Physics and Maths.

Now that may put a bit of a downer on your day, but I have a question for you... Do you actually enjoy maths? It surprises me how few people realise what they're letting themselves in for when they turn up for interview.

A degree in Aero Eng is applied maths just about all the way... well, apart from things like systems engineering. And I don't mean adding lots of number together, I mean proper degree level maths. Advanced calculus, statistics and the principals of physics and mechanics applied using the methods of pure mathematics. If you're not handy at visualizing 3d mechanical problems in maths language it's tough (even if you can it's still tough..).

Specific A-level syllabi is not really an issue. Fact is that at degree level most of the stuff you've already learned will be re-cast into proper mathematical language (vectors, integrals and the like) rather than the watered down A-level versions. Even if you don't spot the tie ups you're still gonna have to learn the new way of doing things.

Hmmm... that makes it all sound rather negative! It's not that bad really!