PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you think of the protesters LHR
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2007, 13:38
AR1

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The thing is with emissions & global warming, we're all hypocritical in a sense. The large majority of us are now thinking about the consequences, yet we've only known a consumer society that promotes it and its difficult to come to terms with it. - We are all slaves to emissions, both ourselves and the protesters.

The cynics would have us believe its a taxable cause - ergo its an issue. The apologists will say 'well we're just a drop in the ocean compared to the developing world'

Truth is, global warming or no, were are using at an increasing rate, a finite resource. Raising the profile of this in all of us, will cause us to reduce emissions - which are DIRECTLY related to consumption and EXTEND the period in which fossil fuels can sustain us, giving science a chance to come up with something else.

The world changes. Your jobs depend on air travel so you feel the heat - I understand that. I was a victim of the 'peace dividend' rejected at 33 by a country I sought to serve until I was 55 (Ok I got paid too..)

The Miners suffured at the hads of the anti pollution lobby - rember acid rain and smog? But nobody can deny we dont have smogs like we did 50 years ago.

As for the protesters..... well as a serving airman I despised the CND protesters, who made my and my families life difficult from time to time. I remember once when they invaded our Married Quarter area, and layed down in the road and abused my wife as she went to work in the NAFFI - I was angry, they were impinging on MY life and it was my job. When challenged I naturally came down on the side of weapons of mass destruction!! - Do I think that way now? No I don't. - I think I was defending a country, which allowed such liberties. They should have been grateful that I was protecting them, and I should have been greatful that they fueled debate.

Do you think your children, or your childrens children will be thankful that people were willing to stick their necks out, hypocritically or otherwise, and raise the profile of this issue? -Because , just to recap. Cut down on consumption and if global warming exists or not - we cant lose.