PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC 50th birthday, looking for 50 cracking good stories
Old 16th Aug 2007, 13:17
Jeep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good Regain, very good.

Here is one i just received:

There i was on exercise crusader in 80, crewman and enjoying the experience. Off in the Gazelle to simulate a Hind against some Rapier sites. My pilot, a chap that enjoyed explosives. So we get to the first few sites and duly divebomb them, all very tame until he says, get in the back and use the thunderflashes i have in my bag. I takes a look at him, and thinks for a split second, sounds dangerous. Right on, so we land, i get in the back and we are on a new mission. The gazelle had a small message chute back in them days and i opened it, and on his word i strike the thunderflash, and ejects it whereupon it explodes near the site and we see some gunners running for cover, very hilarious. Well after about 4 goes, he had a very good supply, i get the strike command and as i did, it hissed and jumped out of my hand. The scene then all slowed down. The thunderflash defied physics and was flying around the back of the cab like a slippery soap covered piece of soap. I can remember the eyes of the pilot getting ever larger and not at the ground coming up quickly. A lucky swat at the hissing piece of dynamite got it to drop through the chute for it to explode just below the aircraft. I can only imagine what thunderflash would do to a Gazelle if it had exploded inside. Well at that point, we got all serious, went straight and level and headed home.

So we get back and put the aircraft to bed, not a scratch on it and head back to the middle of the wood where a fire is lit and some aircrew are sat around. Up walks my pyromaniac matey and just casually throws 2 thunderflashes into the fire and starts to walk off. One chap recognises that he just did and stammers out something whereupon the rest of the aircrew take cover just before the fire goes up and nearly sets the forest on fire.

Ahhh them wer't days

Anon