PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Banks and loans - credit crisis?
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2007, 13:02
GusHoneybun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fer gawd sake people!

If you don't have the money to pay for your training, then get a job that pays well enough to save up. The world doesn't owe you a penny and the sooner you get that into your heads, the sooner you can crack on and stop trying to get up to your eyeballs in debt. But no, it's all gimme, gimme, gimme, I want it now!
Wouldn't suprise me if I read in a few years how you are wondering which self funded type rating you should do.

Some simple facts that you have probably overlooked.
1) You will not walk straight into a TP or jet after training. Expect at least 1 year of building up experience via instructing or GA before you get a sniff. And the pay is this area is shocking to say the least.
2) A 50 grand loan, over 7 years will cost you £750 a month, every month. A TP FO takes home a little over £1000 a month. So how on earth do you plan to live on £250 a month? Seriously, I would love to know the answer to this
3) Most people don't become pilots until their late 20's, early 30's. Why? it's becasue they build up a career that pays well enough to support their dream. In fact, more importantly it's something they can fall back on when they qualify and realise that their CV gets a direct clearance from chief pilots desk to the bin.

Listen to the advice on this thread, do your PPL and ATPL groundschool whilst still working. These are fairly low cost and can easily be absorbed. Worry about funding your CPL/FI/IR when you are in a position to start the course.