PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Pilot Upsets Australian Airport Staff & Authorities
Old 16th Aug 2007, 12:21
Hook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Through experience have learnt that arguing with security, immigration or customs personnel at airports is a huge faux pas. These people are very powerful and they should be treated with caution and respect. Not just for my own issues but because it will affect my colleagues as well later on.
I agree that it would be awfully nice to have a crew customs channel in OZ and all other airports we fly to, but alas its not to be. Please remember that Ozzie (and most other nationalities) customs rules, albeit very strict, are not made by the staff at the airport. They, like many other people, have to do their job to the best of their abilities, probably during long and stressful hours and with facilities that may be lacking. I have never had any Ozzy airport staff member be discourteous to me at any stage of my career in EK. A smile and a thank-you does wonders too. (FWIW I'm European not Ozzie)

This is PPprune - a rumour site - so what's written should be taken with a pinch of salt. I cannot confirm if the F/O involved was American (or indeed if he really had an argument), however, if true, he should be ashamed of himself since he would have been wearing an EK uniform and put everybody else in a bad light.
As for the utter lack of basic manners shown by the security and immigration staff at Kennedy Airport, my comments here would probably earn me a black mark from the moderator, so I'll desist.