PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those pesky Aussie ATPL exams
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2007, 05:10
Brindabella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duxnuts....
ATP check ride indeed. I havent yet met an Ozi ATPL holder who had to do a check ride for their ATPL. I did the same as you with a 6 hour exam.... 3 hour oral and 3 hours in the turboprop as the sim was booked solid.

Not to mention that the afternoon in question saw the snow blowing sideways in 40kt winds. The check ride took 3 hours as we had to hold 30 mins for the Vis to come up to 1/2 mile to shoot the last approach... I get sick of arrogant Ozzies that think they are the only ones that can fly a friggin plane cos they did 7 written tests for their ATPL.

OhForSure... you are exactly the type that pisses me off. You think DJ and QF have got it right yet you say if they meet the same standard. I have done check and training in both countries and I can assure you that any American APT holder with airline time exceeds the standards of the Australian ATPL.

For a start. The type ratings in Oz for a turboprop type rating is a joke compared to the US.

US turboprop (metro/1900) type rating. 16-24 hours required in the sim plus check ride in instrument conditions. Same as a full instrument check ride.

Aust type rating (metro/1900) 5 hours training... no check ride. Limited amount done in IMC/simulated IMC conditions

US ATP check ride in instrument conditions. Same as full instrument check ride.

Proficiency Checks. All done in IMC/ simulated IMC or in Simulator.

Duxnuts is absolutely right... and as a check airman and turboprop instructor in both countries I can assure you that those airmen and women coming back from the US with experience, more than meet any standard that your hallowed 1500 hour piston popper guru with his 7 exams can muster.

Fed up with Ozi arrogance....
Brindabella.