PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2007, 03:26
Rob21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "relationship" between pilot and throttle was weakened by auto throttle.
Want to reduce speed? Adjust the dial, no need to move "levers". It's time to do the flare? Don't worry, engine thrust will come to idle. Forget the TLs...
Reverse now? OK, let's move the "thing" (oh, yeah throttle) back.
TLs are no longer primary control of speed, as we learned at flight school.
Nowadays, the speed dial on the panel is primary control, am I wrong?
When an Approach Controller requests you to reduce or increase speed, where do your hands go? Speed dial or TL?
Moving throttle is the last "intimate" remembrance pilots have that those levers control speed. Even though pilots don't mess with it very much any more, to "see" it move gives us the illusion (remembrance) that TLs are controlling our speed. Auto throttle disconnected, flare, nice, look at those TLs coming to idle... They are controlling my speed, good!!
IMHO, maybe it's time for aircraft engineers to rethink cockpit design. Pilots transitioned well (I think) from yokes to joysticks for aircraft atitude control. But TLs are still the same "shape" they were 50 years ago, and they don't do what they used to do any more. Aircraft engineers, don't be afraid to change those old fashioned throttles. Put some nice acrylic levers, that change colors. Green, thrust forward. Red, thrust reverse. With a glimpse, we will know if they are OK. I believe pilots will learn very quickly how to deal with the new design, like they did with joysticks.
Again, sorry if I got carried away...
Rob

Last edited by Rob21; 16th Aug 2007 at 11:46. Reason: typo