PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC: Right turn in final.. for faster plane behind??
Old 15th Aug 2007, 17:08
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...I felt the aircraft wallow a bit and checked the yaw damper was engaged, which it was, looked back at the primary instruments, and speed had decayed to 20kts below VYSE and 10kts above stall. Quick check, somehow I had forgotten to raise the gear and flap, but had set power and programmed the A/P for pitch rate appropriate for cruise climb.
Reminds me of something that happened to me in an instrument practice session. ILS only on one end of the runway, so flying an ILS 23 with 05 in use for the visual circuit. The usual procedure was to descend to ILS decision altitude, then go around making a climbing left turn to establish on a right hand downwind for a visual circuit on 05. I'd done it dozens of times before, so it was no big deal and I didn't even think about it.

What I forgot was that before I'd always done this on two engines and this approach was simulated asymmetric. My safety pilot yelled at me as he saw the ASI winding down towards the red line in a 30 degree bank with a very uncomfortable nose attitude and a virtually zero rate of climb. We sorted it out, but it gave me a healthy respect for non-standard manoeuvres at low level.