PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bond/OAT "Sponsorship"
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2007, 16:23
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
£30k is enough for the first 'stage' of helo career

Hi there.

I, as a wannabe, have researched many training routes, spent hours on end on PPRuNe, etc etc.

I do agree that knowing length of bond and starting salary is kinda important. It's not a sign of not being passionate or serious about one's aviation future.

I'm budgeting with about £40k for 200hr TT JAA CPL training /to be able to get hired as instructor in the US/ incl US CFII in Bristow Academy /former HAI/, FL. That's inclusive of some associated costs such as flights, fees, housing etc.

One can say round £30k for up to +-150-160 hours JAA CPL in BA according to their current price list. So they'd sponsor accommodation in the US and if anything goes wrong, they won't lose much. And naturally, they'd invest into one's JAA IR, type rating etc only after being successful to the CPL point.

IF someone could get another 10-15k for other costs, JAA FI, there's no need to get tied to the company. Depending on their conditions, how much would be repaid, term of the bonding etc.
It would take 1-3 years longer to get proper job, but how much is 'freedom' worth? :-D

I'd rather do it my way than paying almost the same BUT with the perks of quick steps towards second pilot in turbine chopper. That'll save time 'hanging around' as helo instructor, chasing the first "real job" etc.

I read the advert on their website. Sounds good for someone who wants to stay in the UK for a very long time.
I'm getting UK passport in couple years' time, but flying around the world is so captivating. Not in this weather for 5-10 years in a row :-/

Call me a moaner, but while I see the advantages of singing up /being picked/ for this cadetship, I don't find it that great. That JAA IR is the biggest hurdle and that could be sponsored - see Bristow.

Still got few years of hard work, saving, fundraising till I can start training. Sucks. Well, c'est la vie.
IF Bristow, ERA, PHI or CHC started intership with much lower /eg PPL/ self-funding, I'd go for it. I'm not sure they'd do it within three years anyway.