PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Banks and loans - credit crisis?
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2007, 06:53
bri1980

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What all this says really is that to be a pilot you have to have a rich daddy really. Airlines won't pay, banks won't pay (on the whole) so that leaves your parents (who in my case won't pay) or selling your granny (which I don't have).

As I have said, to get loans from banks you have to set the sights lower and ask for less cash-the less you ask for the less risk they take and the more likely you are to persuade them.

In the rail industry it is the law that all driver training (about £50k) has to be paid for by the train companies at the approved schools. All the aptitude tests are centrally administered and identical for all candidates regardless of company. And don't think for one moment that getting to be a train driver is easy-just try their Group Bourdon aptitude test...it's mind boggling!

But perhaps the rail industry model is a good one as it ensures a consistent standard of training in a safety critical industry and that the new driver doesn't have sleepless nights because of £50k debt hanging over his head for the next few years.

Sorry for the slight drift.