PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground handling - challenges
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2007, 01:10
boredcounter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mbeats

Could not resist the post above.
With regard to ground strikes to aircraft, afraid the biggest change needed is honesty by ground staff.
In my 20 ish years in Ops, the most common response from 'Ramp Management' from catering to handlers after a ground strike has been 'he's suspended till we sack him tomorrow'
Just does not foster honesty from the poor sod at the wheel. I dont, and I am sure most, if not all Crew dont want that attitude on the ramp.
Nudge, tickle, dent, rip the skin of an aircraft or not be sure, tell someone and let the engineers decide. Live in fear of the sack, who knows what might happen.
Educate the Managers would be a big improvement.
BTW, had one tickled, somewhat nudged at EGxx some time ago. Airfield Ops saw the whole thing happen, break lights and all. Airfield Ops reported it to me and vehicle owner. Usual response from vehicle owner, Airfield Ops report, vehicle found to have defective breaks, all before the driver could own up to a ground strike. Vehicle owner back-peddling like mad.
No whitch hunt blame culture for the ramp staff, might not reduce the cost to the industry, but be a good start.

Post edit,

Mind you to educate anyone on the ramp, two sprung to mind over a fag from 88-89

1/ Right in front of the office, watched with witnesses and in awe as an unmarked Luton van rocked a BE90. got security to stop it, backed it up to what was left of the wingtip to hear 'didn't think it mattered, it was only a small one.' On seeing the damage to the van 'what's the Boss gonna say now'
Never did find out the insurance answer to that one!

2/ The fuel bowser at the same airfield, truely wedged under the tail of a company SD3-30. Whilst I protested the best bet was to wait for an engineer to maybe jack the aircraft off the bowser, or even get the rest of the Duty Crew to assist in lifting, crunch and grind of gears, you reverse mate, now it's AOG for sure. Never did find out the insurance answer to that one!

Maybe even than, common sense classes would have been best............

Last edited by boredcounter; 15th Aug 2007 at 01:43. Reason: To add