PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 4
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 18:38
Gash ILS Checker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
I've heard on the old grape vine that DTVA controllers are the lowest paid in the country and so people qualify and then go off to pastures new with more money?
So what? That happens in any business. We're not Heathrow or Manchester!

Do you think Ryanair pays its captains as much as BA does? They're still qualified pilots. And when they have more experience they move on.
So what?

I'll tell you, shall I?

For an airport to function, i.e allow those big machines with wings to use the strip of concrete that you may also know to be called a runway (not forgetting our rotary brothers), we need to have Air Traffic Controllers.

If DVTA can't pay the going rate then the controllers will leave and we'll be back to the situation of the airport closing , quite rightly, I must add, to allow the required 30 mins rest every 2 hours, and sometimes not been able to stay open out of hours, which quite a few operators like to use.

For the airport to grow they need to keep the controllers which will enable the airport to stay open.

Regarding Ryanair, I'm sure it has happened but how often do they say...
"Sorry Mr Pax, we can't fly you to Dublin today because we don't have enough pilots. Now, please Mr Pax, you need to realise that we aren't BA and we don't pay as much as BA so all our experienced and highly qualified pilot's have gone to join them instead. What happened to loyalty? So Mr pax, I do hope you can understand why we don't have enough pilot's".

Stupid reason to say that DTVA isn't Heathrow or Manch.