PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2007, 16:50
PAXToronto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been a lurker here for a long time and until now have never felt the need to participate in any conversations as a simple passenger.

I have a question though about this accident. In this case it appears the TL1 is set to reverse, and TL2 is still set to be making thrust. Aside from the obvious visual clue as to this situation (i.e. looking at the thrust levers) is there any other warning that the TL's have been set in a postion that should clearly never occur in any phase of flight.

The computer logic appears to default to assuming the plane is not landing unless both TL are pulled back, and as such prohibits the extension of GS. It would seem to me that in the case where one TL is set to reverse and the other to make thrust a special warning could be necessary, as clearly the human operator may be somewhat overwhelmed at the time trying to figure out why the plane is not slowing down and in this case has not noticed a fundamental error.

Of course this also falls into the category of you can't have a warning for everything, especially those things that seem so basic as TL setting.